I hear that this Clé de Peau “The Foundation” is the most expensive foundation in the world — whether or not that’s true, it’s definitely the most expensive one I’ve ever used by far! Thank you to the wonderful Clé de Peau team for sending this over for me to try. Continue reading to see my review on this foundation!
- The packaging is so extra and luxurious — I mean, of course The Foundation comes with its own platter for display!
- The coaster has a slot for the provided gold spatula that you use to dab the product onto your face.
- The jar is a good weight. The exterior is constructed of multi-faceted lucite and the interior is made of glass.
- Color: I use the shade O30 Medium Ochre and it blends seamlessly into my skin.
- Texture: This feels like no other foundation I’ve ever used — it has a cool gel-oil base and is almost bouncy! It’s creamy yet lightweight, and it feels more like applying a luxurious face cream than a foundation.
- Benefits: There’s a list of ingredients like antioxidants, Vitamin E, hyaluronic acid for extra moisture, and more. It also has SPF 21.
- Coverage: It provides medium, natural coverage with a dewy finish that looks like a better version of my skin. If you’re looking for a matte, full coverage foundation, then this one is definitely not it. Personally, I love the natural-looking coverage of The Foundation for everyday wear. I use concealer for my undereye and to cover blemishes.
How It Wears
- Primer: I have combination skin so I always wear primer, and The Foundation goes over my primed base perfectly. Some foundations pill or cling to the primer and look splotchy, and I thought it was because I had dry spots or needed to exfoliate, but after using this Clé de Peau foundation, I realized that I used certain foundations that just didn’t lay well on primer.
- Setting Powder: My T-zone gets oily midday no matter what primers or foundations I use so I always set my face with powder in the morning.
- Lasting Power: For me, this lasts all day and does not oxidize or break up, though I do blot and powder throughout the day.
With so many pros, there may be a few cons. The first is the obvious steep price. Also, you may be used to foundations with pumps, so the jar and spatula could take getting used to. Lastly, there is a faint rose scent to the foundation. I really like the light fragrance, but it might not be for everyone.
While no one absolutely needs a foundation this expensive, Clé de Peau The Foundation did deliver much better results than the more affordable ones I had been using. I consider it an investment because I do wear foundation every weekday for work, so when I calculate the cost per wear, it’s much more reasonable. Plus, the foundation is pricier because it focuses on benefitting the skin, as it features the Illuminating Complex EX ingredient found in other Clé de Peau skincare products. After I apply this foundation, my skin looks totally radiant and naturally glowy.
I’ve linked this product in addition to some of my other favorite foundations of varying price points.